homemade botanical room spray, that is… ….. perfect gift
………….. mood….. .. spring
celebration.. ……. good vibes…
herbs ….. . ….. .. essence, fragrance, florals
home, decor, ……….. design.
… and an amazing scent of gorgeous and nurturing, forever evolving and regenerating nature!
Botanical air freshener – perfect gift and DIY!
Treat yourself to the mood of spring and awakening
14 degrees outside today and to me it’s official – the spring is here yay! I’ve mentioned this already how excited I get towards the end of winter. We finally get to see some green outside and birds chirping on branches in the morning! My parents have this stunning garden where you want to sit for EVER just eating, listening to the sounds of nature or be lazy. The trees and plants all smell divine in spring! It’s definitely something I love to recreate for my home too, especially during the winter season! In winter the constant supply of freshly cut flowers or just leaving windows wide open for days is… well out of the window!
The fresh scent of home
When you come to someones home the scent of it instantly hits you as you open the front door. It’s nice to give some thought to this household signature and make your home smell fresh and relaxing. I use different kinds of scented candles and lightly fragranced washing liquid to infuse some floral mood in my home. Another great option are essential oils, there are many options available from florals to more spicy fragrances. I’m a fan of light and clean scents like lavender or fresh cotton. However, one of my absolute favourites is Carena.
Carena essential oil has a floral scent, the first time I tried it it very much reminded me of lilac and jasmin. It’s actually the perfect combination of lilies, lilacs and rose and you only need very few drops to make your home smell like fields of blooming trees. I use it in form of a room spray, it’s cheap and efficient and one bottle usually lasts me for several weeks. Here is the recipe for it!
Carena & Lavender air freshener!
What you’ll need:
- 130 mls of water (distilled or filtered)
- 20 mls of vodka (in general vodka is a good choice as clear scentless alcohol with percentage of 80 and above but you can also use grain alcohol, it mainly preserves the mixture and helps to spread the scent molecules)
- 12 drops of Carena essential oil (or separate lilac, lily and rose essential oils, 4 drops each)
- 8 drops of lavender essential oil
- dried lavender
- dried chamomile blossoms for tea (optional)
- fresh decoration flowers (I popped over to my local florist and got a couple of branches that she uses to complement regular cut flowers, the important thing is choosing something that is not too aromatic and ideally on a drier side so that it won’t add any unwanted scent to the blend)
- a glass spray bottle (similar 100ml bottle available here, also a square option here)
Begin by mixing the water, vodka and essential oils together and pour the mixture into a clean glass spray bottle. To measure the alcohol I used an old 5ml measuring syringe from my son’s Ibuprofen syrup.
Cut dried lavender and the decoration flowers just long enough so they can fit nicely inside the bottle. Then gently push them in, blooms facing up. You can also add a few dried chamomile blossoms for more colourful look and even more of the gentle floral scent (makes the mixture yellowy).
You can decorate or label the bottle using tape, rustic string or silver thread, you can also attach fresh herbs. And you’re done! Spritz each room a couple of times, I usually find this sufficient and lasting!
What is your tip to make the home smell divine? Favourite scented candle, room mist or aromatherapy essential oil?